Friday, February 19, 2016

Can we fix it...

      Its been and interesting week or so. Went to a local fishing show last week end and picked up some lures from my local guys. I got some nice articulating jigs from Joe Bruce which I cant wait to get after some early spring pickeral with. Also loaded up on paddle tails from Bust Em Baits and some G Eye  jig heads. Then I picked up a few items to make some umbrella type rigs that I have seen some guys trolling. I figure I will make my own and see how they do. On Monday we had a few inches of snow and on my way to work in the slush I see something bounce pass me out of the corner of my eye that look like a 4x4 wheel hub. I thought to my self that looks familiar as I left the ramp from 695 to 295 then the truck started shaking and the worst vibration I ever felt on a vehicle with the wheel still attached  hit*. Hmm guess that part  was mine. I'm guessing the wheel bearing let loose which pushed the plastic hub off and when I turn the corner the pressure on that wheel popped it the rest of the way. I limped on the shoulder into the city and on to work and at quitting time decided to go ahead and get it home where my tools are. The snow was a blessing it kept most people off the road and those that were out were going slow so they didn't much notice my turtles pace.
      When I got home that evening my wife gave me more bad news the furnace took a shit just before I got home. My oil had just been delivered so I thought maybe the gauge was bad and it had run out and needed to be bled. After 3 attempts I could get fire in the box but it would not stay lit. So I made a call to the land lord long story short they finally got it fixed today. I learned 3 things though, one is its a good thing to have multiple back up heating sources. We have 3 but only used 2 the electric ceramic heater and wood stove which kept it quite comfortable when we were awake.(more on this later). Number 2 is if I had to heat solely on wood I'm gonna need a lot more wood stock piled for this old stove. I have been in this house for 3 years and we only use wood to supplement our heat we will call it hobby burning. When having to heat with wood in the old stove here it has an insatiable appetite. And number 3 is that wood is romantic but god bless oil,gas and electric. Maybe I have gotten soft but ain't it nice to just flick the switch and get heat on demand. I also have a phobia about leaving electric heaters running all night so I wont do it while asleep and the wood stove would only keep it warm for about 5 hours without being fed so it got a bit chilly in the am. My skinny ass pooch with his thin as fur was not amused.
       In the midst of this the I took the dog out for a walk and let him run on the beach. When we came back in he heard the ups truck stop out front in which he see it as his duty to jump up and bark at the door. I didn't see what he did only heard him screech and when I made it to where he was he was lying on the floor and would not move. I though he might have hurt his leg but when I was checking him he hunched his back all up like it was hurt. He moped around the rest of the night so I new he was hurting I just didn't know where. It has improved as the weeks gone on but I still cant figure what he did. The big knuckle head.
       Back to the truck. I have it jacked, half tore apart and my new hub and bearing came in this morning so if I can get the last 4 bolts to break loose and get the axle out of the old one I can get it back on the road. I'm not to fond of public transportation and the light rail in particular but that is a subject for another post.
Beautiful sunrise 2-12-16

Ice break up after the snow

Baby's got a bad

* I had the joy of having a wheel come completely off and its a whole different pucker factor.
Just got a call my new kayak is in and ready so the truck will have to wait until I go pick it up:)

No comments:

Post a Comment